Sunday, February 24, 2008

Hollywood's Biggest Party



Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a sucker for the Oscars, who's there with who, the red carpet, and lastly I enjoy it for the sheer suspense in finding out who the hollywood experts think should win. Now, I'm sure as with anything there is a lot of politics. Or maybe it's just like high school where the same people always seem to win. Who knows, maybe not and I will say that the nominees in general this year are a bit more of the unusual suspects, so that's a good thing.

Here's my two cents on who I'm routing for:

Leading Actor:

I'm sure DDL will win and shit, this may well be one of his best performances since MY LEFT FOOT. However, I'm not a big fan of his accent and the whole milkshake line seemed really cheesy to me. But, if he wins I won't be upset it as it is an incredible performance and I'm sure he popped a few blood vessels filming this. That and to be covered in oil crap the whole film must have been a pain in the ass.

Secretly, I kinda want VIGO to win. I loved Eastern Promises. Yeah, super cliche. You've seen this type of gangster film over and over again. However, I think Vigo is totally believable, scary, yet funny and sweet, and you have to love that shower scene.




Best Direction in a Movie:

I'm sorry, hands down THE DIVING BELL AND BUTTERFLY...this movie is a masterpiece. Everything is executed perfectly. This would seem to be the hardest screenplay to translate and voila, it's perfect. Wouldn't change a thing..





Best Art Direction in a Movie:

I love how dark and goth the nominees are....I'm torn between AND THERE WILL BE BLOOD, and SWEENEY TODD. Great wardrobe.....

Cinematography:

I think either THE ASSASINATION OF JESSE JAMES OR DIVING BELL....and if I have to choose hands down DIVING BELL....soo soo gorgeous...the dream sequences, the water, the women. Julian Schnabel makes us want to spend more time in the hospital.

Documentary: SICKO...if you haven't seen this you must..it's awfully depressing and will have you pissed off for a week but it's full of information you need to know...now after watching this film you don't dare want to have to go to the hospital, at least not in this country....

Music: I love the meloncholy soundtrack of THE ASSASINATION....I could listen to it for hours and not feel bored....Nick Cave you are so cool...



Best Movie: No Country for Old Men....for keeping me on the edge of my seat the entire time...great editing, sound design, story, suspense, and acting...Javier Bardem, Woody, Josh...all phenomenal. I only wished they edited out Tommy Lee's whole speech at the end...without that the movie would have been a perfect 10.

and Best Haircut goes to.......... Javier Bardem

No comments: