Saturday, February 9, 2008

Be My Icon: Susan Janet Ballion - alias Siouxsie Sioux



One of my favorite musician/performer and style icons, I will love Siouxsie forever. I can't believe she was born only 6 years after my mom in 1957, in the town of Bromley. In her teens she started listening to groups like T Rex, David Bowie and Lou Reed and started hanging around in gay discos (sounds like me at 16) and was known in the punk scene for her outrageous glam/bondage outfits. The Banshees got their start around 1976 playing a music festival organized by the great Malcom McLaren. The rest is history. I started to listen to her around 1985 (after I denounced Duran Duran for being complete POP sellouts). I begged my parents to let me go see her at Berkeley's Greek Theatre. Amazing. She was wearing a kimono dress and was in full Siouxsie makeup, cat eyes and that shocking red lipstick. I worked my way up to the front and didn't move an inch. She is definitely one of the best female performers out there and her voice is completely mesmerizing. And there you go, one of my all time favorite style icons. My "siouxsie" period lasted at least 2 years and I see remnants of it every now in then.



Last August Siouxsie put out her first solo album, MantaRay. It's much more POP than most would like but hey, she is my punk queen and I wouldn't miss the chance to see her again. And here I am today, 23 years later going to see her tonight at Irving Plaza. Like a pubescent teen, I've been thinking about it for the last 3 days! Fashion Dilemma: I plan to squish my way to the front and if provoked I'll jump on stage. Do I wear a possibly constricting kimono dress or my favorite stretchy 80's Y.E.S turteneck dress with zippers? Help, I need advice! Where are my goth girls?

1 comment:

gap said...

i will love Susan forevermore. By the time my narrow world began crumbling a girl with a snake mohawk took me under her wing. We lost touch. Several year laters I learned that Tina (punker's real name) had decided to become a bank teller. I went in to visit her, sat around waiting for her to get off wrok.In my heart and solem=, she sold out. Me, I just kep worshipping at the temple of Siouxsie...by the end of the year I'd memorized everylast lyric, scream, whailling banshee (I think that's how the word is spelted; who cares). It wasn't long before i had every last vinyl ever minted. One day my born again boyfriend told me it's in my best interest to destroy those records. What a tool I was then! I'll let myself off the hook, I was only barely 18 years old, living the fast life, I'd say I was more like 13. So I did crack them all to smithereens. My heart ripped on that one. Years later, adfter coming out of that useless period of my life, I searched out all the 45s and full length vinyl I'd once had. Cost: around 2, 3 grand. Still have them all. The things we do to appease people - for shame.