Friday, December 28, 2007

Mataharis - Mucho Mas than I expected


Yesterday was the last day of the Spanish Cinema Now at Walter Reade. Every year we get treated to new work coming out of Spain. This year I managed to check out "Chaotica Ana", the new film from Julio Medem. One of my favorite directors (Sex y Lucia, Lovers of the Artic Circle), I was very dissapointed. I actually considered walking out of the end. It was completely over the top, a total cliche. "Doghead" by Santi Amodeo was much more interesting, a story of a an 18yr old suffering from a rare neurological order (I'm always a sucker for these types of movies). It was both funny, depressing, and visually unique. Lastly, yesterday I made it to see Mataharis...it was supposed to be good (said Aunt Maura from Spain) and it also starred spanish-euskedi actress/singer Nawja Nimri. The female directed film (Iciar Bollain) took us into the world of 3 female private detectives. It sounds a bit silly but it was more a film about spying and betrayal and the dillemma of scruples versus ambition. Overall much better than I expected to be and worth going all the way uptown to Lincoln Center (what a pain in the arse!) Nawja was great as were the other actresses. I just happen to be a bit obsessed with Nawja. In the late 90's she put out a very Tricky-esque record. She is beautiful in an off the beaten track type of way and typically she has good style. In the original "Abre Los Ojos" she plays the crazy girl that runs the the lead characters car off the rode. Remember the terrible job Cameron Diaz did in the american version???? Anyway, try to check out Mataharis if it ever comes out on NetFlix (doubtful).

Some pics of my girl Nawja:



No comments: